I posted before that I feel positive about the contract from what I had heard at that point but that I was interested to hear what the experts had to say. Here are some more reactions from local media sources.
- Valerie Russ, The Daily News, 1/23/2010, Teachers, school district approve contract
- Dale Mezzacappa, The Notebook, 1/23/2010, AFT president: New contract a breakthrough
- Ron Whitehorne, The Notebook, 1/24/2010: A Qualified Thumbs Up for the Contract in which he praises in part, the extension of the site selection process.
- Susan Snyder, Philadelphia Inquirer, 1/25/2010, Plaudits for Philadelphia Teacher’s Contract: “Groundbreaking” pact may help win federal Race to the Top money
- Pat Loeb, KYW 1060, 1/25/2010, New Teacher Contract Amazes School Reform Advocates
The reactions seem to be generally positive across the board for the contract itself, though some teachers were (rightfully, in my opinion) unhappy at the way that the contract was presented to them. I am hopeful that this contract is steering the School District of Philadelphia in the right direction for the long term. As I read more and more about the contract, I feel more comfortable with the idea of enrolling my kids in the Philadelphia public school in the coming years.